My goodness Barry, you done fucked up the whole damn universe. The Flash returns and Barry has screwed up every damn thing. Unfortunately, by the end of episode two, most of the status quo return and most things are back to normal. It was still an enjoyable two episodes though.
In case you’re not caught up, at the end of last season, Barry had a nervous breakdown and went back in time, saved his parents, and changed everything. I could go further into what went on, but all that really matters is that by the end of the episode, Barry goes back in time, lets his parents die, and hopes that everything goes back to normal.
In the second episode, we learn that not everything has gone back to normal. Some changes that have occurred are the following:
- Iris and her dad don’t get along. They make up by the end of the episode.
- Cisco is depressed his brother died. He gets over it by the end of the episode.
- The alternate timeline that was created because of Barry still exists somewhat and some people are retaining memories from both timelines.
- Diggle’s child (from Arrow) is now a boy. Diggle had a daughter before.
- Draco Malfoy (at least the actor who played Draco Malfoy) now shares office space with Barry and is another forensic crime person. Draco also hates Barry and you can almost hear the words “Potter” whenever he says Barry’s name.
- Caitlin has ice powers now, but she hasn’t told anyone.
I think those are the most important parts. Oh, there’s a new villain for Barry and gang to fight all season.
Overall, I enjoyed the episode very much. It’s always fun to see what ifs play out and how the characters could be portrayed differently. In fact, I would be perfectly happy if they toned down the crime fighting and turned this into a show a la Quantum Leap. Barry could chase some villain through time and parallel dimensions or something like that.
Score: 7/10 Nice opening episode. I’m not looking forward to seeing more of Alchemy, the new villain. I hope they do more universe jumping and time travel instead.